National Truth and Reconciliation Day - This event has already occurred
Thursday, September 30, 2021 12:00 a.m. - 11:59 p.m.
2760 Cameron Road, West Kelowna, BC V1Z 2T6
View on Google Maps
Concerts, Events, Festivals and Holidays
National Truth and Reconciliation Day
As we build a stronger relationship with Westbank First Nation and honour them, and all of Canada’s Indigenous Peoples, the City of West Kelowna invites all Greater Westside residents to join us this Thursday, Sept. 30 in commemorating Orange Shirt Day, which is now National Truth and Reconciliation Day.
The creation of this new federal statutory holiday is one of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s calls to action to commemorate the tragedies of the residential school system, and to honour their survivors, families and First Nation communities.
Westbank First Nation’s website offers some ideas on how you may choose to recognize this day as we work respectfully with Indigenous Peoples to build a better and brighter future together:
- Supporting Indigenous authors, artists and musicians
- Watching a film or documentary
- Attending a cultural or online event
- Supporting Indigenous businesses
- Wearing an orange shirt or displaying an Every Child Matters heart.
How does this observance affect City programs and services?
City of West Kelowna administrative offices will be closed and some programs and non-essential services will be unavailable Thursday, Sept. 30, 2021.
Emergency and essential services such as bylaw compliance, fire/rescue, policing, transit, sewer and water operations and waste collection will continue. For more details on program and service schedules throughout the long weekend, please read on.
The following administrative buildings will be closed Thursday, Sept. 30:
- Bylaw Compliance and Roads and Utilities Services North at Westbank Lions Community Centre, 2466 Main Street.
- Municipal Hall at Mount Boucherie Community Centre, 2760 Cameron Road.
- Engineering and Purchasing Offices at Lakeview Village, 879 Anders Road.
- Operations Building (Parks and Cemetery Administration), 3717 Elliott Road.
- Roads and Utilities Building South, 2570 Bartley Road.
- West Kelowna Fire Rescue Administration, 2708 Olalla Road.
Offices will reopen by 8:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 1.
What Services Are Being Provided?
9-1-1: Fire, First Response and Policing
- For police, fire/rescue and health emergencies, call 9-1-1.
- For non-emergency policing calls, dial 250-768-2880.
- To report illegal burning, call Regional Fire Dispatch at 250-469-8577.
- Call 778-797-8810 to leave a message and calls will be returned Friday, Oct. 1.
- For urgent matters, call West Kelowna RCMP non-emergency at 250-768-2880.
Drainage, Sewers and Water
- In the event of a drainage, sewer or water emergency, including a sewer back-up or water main break, call 778-797-1000, dial option 1.
Garbage and Recycling
- Curbside waste carts are being collected on the usual schedule. Please see the Living Greener Calendar for details on whether you are due for garbage and yard waste collection or trash and recycling pick up.
- If you put your bins at the curb at the correct date and time, with the lid closed, and the collection was missed, please call e360 Solutions at 250-868-3211.
- For hours of operation and accepted materials for the Westside Residential Waste Disposal and Recycling Centre, the Glenmore Landfill and bottle depots and where to take what materials, visit regionaldistrict.com/recycle.
- Please stay home if you are sick.
- Those reflecting on this day at our parks and trails, must keep socially distanced. To find an beach, park or trail, visit westkelownacity.ca/parks
- For other recreational programming on Sept. 30, visit westkelownacity.ca/recguide or check with your club, cohort, coach or instructor.
- To make a service request for a street in the City of West Kelowna, excluding Highways 97 and 97C and Westside Road, contact AEL at 1-866-353-3136.
- For matters related to Highways 97 and 97C and Westside Road, and streets in Westbank First Nation, and the Central Okanagan West Electoral Area, call AIM Roads at 1-866-222-4204.
- Buses will run on the usual Thursday schedule on Sept. 30.
- For the full transit schedule, visit: Kelowna Regional Transit System - Schedules and Maps