National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - This event has already occurred
Friday, September 30, 2022 12:00 a.m. - 11:55 p.m.
Concerts, Events, Festivals and Holidays
As we build a stronger relationship with Westbank First Nation and honour them, and all of Canada’s Indigenous Peoples, the City of West Kelowna invites all Greater Westside residents to join us this Friday, Sept. 30 in observing National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
The federal statutory holiday is one of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s calls to action to commemorate the tragedies of the residential school system, and to honour their survivors, families and First Nation communities.
National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, also known as Orange Shirt Day, a commemorative day intended to raise awareness of the individual, family and community inter-generational impacts of residential schools and show solidarity that Every Child Matters. Our awareness to honour and to deepen our understanding of the tragic and painful history and ongoing impacts of residential schools is a vital component of the reconciliation process.
Westbank First Nation’s website offers some ideas on how you may choose to recognize this day as we work respectfully with Indigenous Peoples to build a better and brighter future together:
- Participating in local events
- Supporting Indigenous authors, artists and musicians
- Watching a film or documentary
- Attending a cultural event
- Supporting local Indigenous businesses
- Wearing an orange shirt sold by local Indigenous shops
How does this observance affect City programs and services?
City of West Kelowna administrative offices will be closed and some programs and services will be unavailable Friday, Sept. 30, 2022.
Emergency and essential services such as fire/rescue response, garbage, yard waste and recycling collection, policing, sewer and water and transit operations will continue.
- The following administrative buildings will be closed Friday, Sept. 30, 2022:
- Municipal Hall at Mount Boucherie Community Centre, 2760 Cameron Road.
- Engineering and Purchasing satellite offices at Lakeview Village, 879 Anders Road.
- Operations Building (Parks) at 3717 Elliott Road.
- Roads, Drainage and Utilities Building at 2570 Bartley Road.
- West Kelowna Fire Rescue Administration at 2708 Olalla Road.
- Bylaw Services at Westbank Lions Community Centre, 2466 Main Street.
- Offices will reopen by 8:30 a.m. Monday, Oct. 3, 2022.
What Services Are Being Provided?
9-1-1: Fire, First Response and Policing
- For police, fire/rescue and health emergencies, call 9-1-1.
Bylaw Compliance and Enforcement
- Please call 778-797-8810 and choose from the available service options provided; messages will be returned in priority order during the next business day.
Drainage, Sewers and Water
- In the event of drainage, sewer and water emergencies, including sewer backups and water main breaks, please call 778-797-1000, dial option 1.
Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste
- Garbage, recycling and yard waste are being collected as per usual. Please see the Living Greener Calendar for details on whether you are due for garbage and yard waste collection or trash and recycling pick up. For hours of operation and accepted materials for the Westside Residential Waste Disposal and Recycling Centre, the Glenmore Landfill and bottle depots and where to take what materials, please visit rdco.com/wasteandrecycling.
- If you put your bins at the curb at the correct date and time, with the lid closed, and the collection was missed, please call 778-797-8850 to leave a message with our Utility Billing Department; calls will be returned on our next business day.
- For details on Recreation and Culture Programs, please visit westkelownacity.ca/recguide.
- To make a service request for a street in West Kelowna, excluding Highways 97 and 97C and Westside Road, please contact AEL at 1-866-353-3136.
- For matters related to Highways 97 and 97C and Westside Road, and streets in Westbank First Nation, and the Central Okanagan West Electoral Area please call AIM Roads 1-866-222-4204.
- For maintenance of the William R Bennett Bridge, contact Protrans at 1-888-769-2925.
- Buses will run on a regular schedule on Friday, Sept. 30, 2022.
- For full transit schedule details, please visit: